“Nothing is so healing as the human touch” said Bobby Fitcher .
To add to this wonderful statement: human touch is soothing, calming, nurturing and caring. Who needs such touch? Everyone, but probably babies are the most!
Infant massages are very important and should be provided regularly thought the first year of their life. Especially when developing new learning experiences such as holding head, grabbing, sitting, crawling, standing, walking. Recommended schedule for having baby massage to support such developments: 2-3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months. However everyday massage is the best!
Regular massage brings a lot of benefits to the babies including:
· bonding and communication between the baby and their caregiver
· calming nervous system and relieving stress
· increasing circulation’
· helping with constipation, colic, and gas
· regulating sleeping patterns,
· stimulating Musculo-skeletal system
· providing sensory stimulation, which is necessary for growth and development, etc.
Such massage can be done by a caregiver or by registered massage therapist who took special training for that. The session usually lasts about 30 minutes or less as babies get tired fast. It can be done with or without oil.
The most important during baby massages are to give it when baby is in the calm but alert mood and stop the session if the baby is not enjoying it.
As the alternative, Massage Therapist can teach the caregiver to do it him/herself at home.